Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Them bones

The American Musuem of Natural History is fairly mind-blowing. I think perhaps that as a child I was loaded up with facts like "We can figure out what a dinosaur looked like by piecing together 400 million year old bones" at the same time I was learning that toothpaste gel wasn't the same as hair gel and they couldn't both go in my hair. Back then, It was all information of about the same value which I processed and in which I grew. But it was an extraordinary moment indeed, when given the chance to ask a real paleontologist "What is a fossil?", I was given answers which made me start to realise for the first time as free-thinking adult, that these creatures actually existed as living, breathing reptiles, and that these are their spectacular remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment