Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rodrigo Corral

"Being a famous designer is like being a famous dentist."
Noreen Morioka - Principal,  AdamsMorioka

This is to say, the name "Rodrigo Corral" may not mean much to you, but it's a household name in the New York design scene. And today, I got half an hour to ask him all about creation and the meaning of design. His work is smart and simple, and it was encouraging to hear that it really has taken him some time to get to a point where he can unclutter his thoughts in order to arrive at one clever solution. Being American, he didn't quite know what I meant when I asked him about 'turfing' the less successful ideas, lucky I had Aaron with me to interpret! A real pleasure to meet him, and we chatted about his range of work and the work we do at Boheem. He even gave me two of his books as a parting gift. Oh, and hot typeface news: it seems a few studios here are using Gothic. Actually, word is that it's been popular for a year or two (where have I been?) and now they're trying to 'move on'. Hm. Anyway, I like it. find it at: www.typography.com/fonts/font_overview.php?productLineID=100008 . See more of Rodrigo's work here: www.bookcoverarchive.com/Rodrigo_Corral

No comments:

Post a Comment